Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving



I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. We did! Besides the fact that George wasn't able to spend much time with us, we made the best of it.
It was our year to be with my side of the family. (Now that's a lot of cousins!) The kids had a great time playing in the snow, drinking egg nog, visiting, and of course, eating!
My kids were pretty hopped up on sweets by the time we left. When we got home it felt so quiet. The boys popped in a movie, snuggled up, and Noah got some (almost) healthy food in him. Does yogurt count? Then, Noah headed off to bed, and Josiah was quick to follow.
I can hardly believe the countdown to Christmas is on now! I'm really looking forward to December. The lights, the decorations, the excitement, the music, the crafts, the food...Having children changes the way you look at holidays. There's this awkward time of not being a kid, but not having kids of your own. Blech! Once you have kids (and I assume grandkids), Christmas becomes really fun again. You can just feel the anticipation and excitement through them. I'm really looking forward to a two and three year old this year! Josiah knows exactly what's going on!
What are some of your holiday traditions? We always got fresh sheets on Christmas Eve, and a new pair of jammies. I've already bought the boys their Christmas Eve jammies. Last year I waited too long, and they had NOTHING to choose from. This year I think I bought them almost too early, as I am finding even cuter styles, but I'm still happy with the ones they have.
We also don't make a huge deal about buying tons of toys or "things" at Christmas. I really want my boys to appreciate their things, and be thankful for all of our blessing. I love this time of year, and all of the teaching opportunities! Being thankful, helping others, giving to others, and of course, learning more about Jesus and his wonderful gift to us!
OH, another tradition is the cinnamon and orange rolls for breakfast! AHHH, so much to look forward to!
I think it's so important to have family traditions in your home; especially around the holidays. These years are already going by too darn fast. I find myself constantly asking myself, what will my kids remember?
Anyway, I think the turkey tryptophan is kicking in. I've been looking forward to watching Home Alone, so I may just go snuggle in with some hot chocolate and enjoy the quiet evening. I really wish George was here with me. I really wish he had holidays off of work to spend with us. BUT, we are so blessed that he has a stable job, and I will not complain. We have it pretty darn good, and I know it! (Below are my "lefties" eating their dinner)

No comments:

Post a Comment