Last week, I went to meet with Deborah's teacher, the occupational therapist, speech therapist, principal, psychologist, and physical therapist at her new school. Needless to say, we felt quite popular in this meeting, as everyone wanted to visit with Deborah, and ask me ALL about her! :) My social butterfly couldn't have had more fun.
Sending Deborah to school has been a very tough decision for us, which required lots of prayer and thought. As a mom who has planned on homeschooling ever since giving birth to my first child over five years ago, this was a new concept for me. Was I being selfish wanting a few hours to myself? Was this really the best environment for Deborah to grow? Would this be emotionally draining on her to go from an orphanage to a home, and then back into a group of kids? Would it be more like childcare or would my daughter actually be educated? All of these questions swarmed around in my head as we waded through all the paperwork just to meet with the school.
After our meeting I can honestly say that this is going to be awesome for Deborah! I couldn't be more thrilled with the group of people that will be helping my daughter with everything from using the bathroom independently to writing her name and learning her colors.
God is teaching me, yet again, to swallow my pride (that darn pride!) and admit that I can use help. They have a great classroom set up with everything to help my daughter thrive. They have a chair for her when she's at the table, they have a special seat for when they are on the floor, and even the bathrooms are set up for her to use on her own when she is ready! While she is at school four days a week for 3 hours she will be getting one on one (or two on one even!) attention from people who know the best ways to help a child with her unique needs.
We still have to meet one more time with the school board to discuss her individual learning plan, and then she will be ready to go! Probably the first Monday in November!
In other news, Deborah is scheduled for an MRI on October 26th, and I am seriously nervous about the whole thing. She is not going to be happy about not eating the night before and day of, and I am worried about her getting put under. If you would, please say a prayer for our sweet girl as she goes through this. Not only are they doing the MRI, but they'll also be giving her a hip x-ray, blood draw, hearing test, and botox injections in her thighs. It's a lot for one little body! It's also going to be a long day at the hospital for me, so I will need a lot of prayer as well.
Goodness, I keep thinking of more to tell you! I've gotta start writing more often! Deborah has also started attending AWANA on Wednesday nights. (hence the free time for me to blog) :) She loves it, and is doing great! Everyone loves her joyful spirit, and they are eager to provide her with all the extra help she needs. I've been saying lately that her biggest obstacle in life to overcome is having everyone be too willing to help her! Not a horrible problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.
Happy Fall Y'all!

Mary, I am grinning from ear to ear as I read this post! I'm so happy for Deborah, and I know that you're feeling a peace about this because you made the right decision. I will definitely be praying for her on the 26th, and for you as well. I've never been through it, and I'm sure it's not going to be easy. But I do know this: The Lord does not give us anything we cannot handle, and I know that He has a very special plan for your entire family!
ReplyDelete