Now, I don't consider myself a culinary expert by any means, but I must brag about the tasty creation I came up with for dinner tonight. I call it Chicken Quinoa Burritos.
I've been making a conscious effort over the past few months to make healthier food choices around our home. I've cut back on sugars and simple carbs, and tried to add more fish and protein. One of the things I've really been wanting to try is adding Quinoa into our meal plan. I've never cooked it before tonight, but after tonight, I must say, we will definitely be making this a part of our weekly routine! Not only is this stuff packed with protein and fiber, but it is also a healthier substitute for a lot of carb-y side dishes. White rice has always been my go-to when making fish or chicken. Admittedly, this was not the healthiest option!
I knew I wanted something quick and easy tonight since it's always a rush to get everyone fed and out the door to AWANA (A Bible study program for the kids) on Wednesday nights. I've had some burrito shells lying around, and since chicken is always a quick meal, I decided on chicken burritos.
As I was cooking the chicken I threw in half an onion diced up, sea salt, and garlic. I'm absolutely in love with the jar of garlic they sell at Costco. It's a huge jar full of minced garlic that saves quite nicely in the fridge. No more messy garlic fingers pressing whole cloves, and it's a huge time saver as well! While that was cooking in the skillet, I made up a pot of Quinoa according to the package directions, and when everything was done I mixed it all together. I didn't want to give the kids a choice to be finicky about the "little white things", so mixing it was a must. I chopped up some tomatoes, olives, and avacado, warmed up the tortilla shells and whoa-la! Dinner was served!
Everyone loved it! I'm pretty sure this dish won't qualify me for a culinary award of any type, but hey, for me, this is pretty good! :)
Love reading your blog. We really like Quinoa.
ReplyDelete